Sunday, November 7, 2010

Why Just Why?

So my mother and her boyfriend were up on 10/30.  As we were talking about the remodel, they kept mentioning how he could do all kinds of repair projects and he wasn't working.  I finally asked if he set tile.  Of course, have been doing it for years was the response I recieved.  So, I offered him a paid job setting my kitchen tile.  Since I was supposed to have appliances delivered on Friday, he would need to start on Monday.  I was assured he would be here.

Monday, I waited all day and he never showed.  It was one excuse after the other all day long.  Tuesday, at 11 AM, he finally makes it.  The original agreement was he would pull old floor, set new tile, stay over, then grout the next day.  Instead, he pulled the old floor and went home promising to be back by 3:30 PM Wednesday.

I called at 3:30, 4:30, and finally at 4:45, I called Mom to find out where he was.  She said she didn't know but also threw in something smart about us strapping him with this last minute.  I pointed out they were the ones who said he needed work, then I hung up!  She called back saying I misunderstood what she meant and asked when the appliances were coming.  I told her I had pushed them back a week because the floor couldn't possibly be done by Friday.  She suggested since the we had more than a week, they could both come and he could set tile while she played with the grandkids.  This sounded reasonable so I agreed.

They got here about 5:15 PM on Saturday and she didn't even say hi to me or the kids before they went over to work on the tile.  She stayed over there the entire time watching him work and never came to see the kids.  He climbed on my cabinets, used the paint mixer for mortar, made a huge mess, and destroyed 16 boxes worth of tile.  This was the end results: Tile Disaster

I have someone coming on Tuesday to start the tile work over.  It cost too much in new supplies, but the floor has to be done.  And of course, the highest cost was in the relationship between us and them.  I hope whatever they got from this was worth it to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment