Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Driving in Oblivion

A new driver took over our in town route this year.  Though I have heard many rumors of problems, I of course, cannot substantiate rumors.  I can however, share my personal experiences.   So far, there have been 3 major incidents involving this bus driver and my children and several minor ones.  As far as minor concerns, the bus driver rarely waits for the children to be seated before moving and I have seen on many occasions students moving around while the bus is in motion.  Though not very safe, this is minor concern.  As for the major concerns, I’d like to share those. 

The first happened way back in October.  My 2 children crossed the street to get on the bus, one got on, and the bus started rolling!!  I screamed stop.  My other child was standing right there next to the door before the bus started moving.  When he stopped, she was standing beside the bus, just past the front wheel.  He told me he didn’t see her.  Thank God she wasn’t hit. 

The second incident happened either in January or February.  My children got off the bus and crossed in front.  My younger daughter was not more than 2 steps past the bus (still in the street mind you) when he drove off.  What would the results have been if in typical little kid fashion she had remembered she left something and turned to get it walking right into the path of a moving bus?  These incidents were both reported and we were told he would be talked to about them, but there was no one else available to drive the route. 

Over the last several weeks, one of my children has become more and more insistent that she doesn’t want to go to school.  She told me that someone on the bus was calling her names and picking on her.  I told her to tell the bus driver and to sit in the first 3 rows of seats.  About a week ago, she came off the bus crying saying that someone pushed her as she was getting off.  I asked her if she told the driver, she said no.  I reminded her of where she was supposed to sit which she said she was doing and that if there was a problem she needed to let the driver know.   Yesterday was the worst incident yet.  My child came off the bus, covered in mud and literally screaming and crying.  When asked what was wrong, she stated that 2 kids pulled her under the seat and were kicking her and stepping on her. 

 The driver said he hadn’t seen anything!  The driver said she gets off the bus crying a lot but he didn’t see where that was his business.  Whose business would it be if not his?  Isn't he is responsible for watching what is going on while they are on the bus?  The driver responded that he is doing the best he can.   

My child is 6 years old and was sitting in the second row and the driver noticed nothing while she was pulled under the seats and assaulted!!  And I cannot imagine that this happened without her making a sound especially with the way she was screaming as she exited the bus. 

This was immediately reported to the head of the drivers while she was still covered in mud.  When we looked her over carefully, it was clear that some of the mud was indeed footprints.  Upon cleaning her up, we found bruises, scrapes, etc from the incident. 

Today, I spoke with administration at the school in the morning.  In the afternoon, I checked to make sure that this was being handled.  I was told there were two sides to every story and it would be looked into.  The driver is still driving his route! 

Alternative arrangements have been made to transport my children to and from school, but what about the other students on this route?  If this can happen to a child sitting in the second row, what can happen to a child in the middle, or even worse, the rear of the bus?  What will it take for us to get this man off our bus and get someone competent in his place?  Will it take a child being beaten, broken,  and hospitalized?  A child being raped while he ignores the ruckus on the bus?  When do we protect the children first?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

please take this to the superintendent, the school board, file a police report asap! This should not be tolerated at all in anyway!!!

Post a Comment