Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Drs Make Me Crazy!

I swear the medical community is trying to make me crazy! Tabi had her one month check up today and now I'm on pins and needles. She started out with a tongue tie that created latch issues, then she went through a period of not wanting to wake up to eat. By 8d she was down to 8lb 1 oz. I met with her dr and a lactation consultant and we got her back on track, or so I thought! She figured out latching and she eats every 2-3 hours for 10-15 minutes each side so I figured we were good. Plus we are getting plenty of wet/dirty diapers. No reason to be concerned in my point of view. Then we had today's weigh in at 8lb 9oz. That is still 8oz below her birth weight!

They said her heart and breathing sound fine, and her metabolic screening came back normal. We are now working to rule out other causes for her not to be gaining. Today we started with a urine catch to rule out kidney issues and she is supposed to be getting every other feeding with breastmilk mixed with formula from a bottle. The dr did say if she starts rejecting nursing, to stop the bottles and we will recheck weight in a week. Hopefully, she will be gaining better, her kidneys will be fine, and there will be no need for more tests. I'll update more next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment