Thursday, July 14, 2011

An Entirely New Journey

I have debated and debated with myself as to whether or not I was going to share this journey on my blog or just keep it private.  I have decided to take the bold step of putting this out there so perhaps I can encourage someone else.

As many of you know, I had gestational diabetes with Tabi.  Well, my numbers are not returning to normal like they did after I had Mak.  They are in what is considered the "pre diabetic" range.  I don't to be a diabetic based on poor eating habits and lifestyle choices.  I have made a firm commitment to lose the extra weight for me and for my family.

The day before Tabi was born, I weighed in at 274.  As of 7/7 I was at 259.  I'm only 5'3 so the very most I should be at is 150.  So, that's my goal. 

I started by making some small changes and as of today I am counting calories, fat grams, carbs, etc.  The app I am using suggested a 1320 calorie a day diet.  Honestly, there is no way I can do that (yet).  First, I have probably  been consuming way closer to 6000 calories a day until last week.  Second, I am breastfeeding so that drastic of a change would likely effect my milk supply. 

I did watch portion sizes closer today which I have never done before and made a few initial observations. Like for instance, cheese is not my friend.  Neither are hot dogs.  And portions of most things are way smaller than I thought they were.  My initial changes have been to cut regular soda, sugar and syrups from my coffee, and mayo completely.  I have also increased my water intake a lot. 

Tomorrow, I have my 6 week follow up with my OB.  If I get the all clear, I plan to join a wellness center in the next few weeks and start taking belly dancing classes.  I am also thinking about trying Zumba since everyone seems to love it so much.  I have added my weight loss ticker as a picture so there is a constant goal in mind. 

Wish me luck on my new journey!



No comments:

Post a Comment